OpenAdNation

Saturday 23 August 2014

Rakitic: I'm no Xavi

Ivan Rakitic has welcomed comparisons to
Barcelona stalwart Xavi but argues that it is
impossible to replace the Spain international at
Camp Nou.
The 26-year-old joined Barca from Sevilla earlier
this summer, with some suggesting that the
Croatian could be the perfect successor to the
iconic midfielder, who has become the
Blaugrana's new captain in his 17th season
despite being linked with a move away this
summer.
Xavi, now 34, has won seven Primera Division
title and three Champions Leagues with the club
and Rakitic is flattered by the comparison but is
focused on making his own name in Catalunya.
"It's nice that people are saying that I am the
successor of Xavi but I'm Rakitic. Replacements
for such a great player like Xavi don't exist," he
told Sportske Novosti.
"I can't wait to start the Primera [Liga]. We
worked a lot [in pre-season] and I hope that this
will show on the field. Barcelona are powerful
again.
"I always wanted to join Barcelona. It was my
desire."
Rakitic also revealed that Lionel Messi has helped
him to adjust to life in Catalunya and is confident
that fellow new signing Luis Suarez will hit the
ground running when he returns to action in late
October.
"Messi is no different from the others. He is very
helpful. He offered me his assistance in finding an
apartment or house in Barcelona," the Croatia star
continued.
"It's not necessary to say about the qualities of
Luis Suarez. It is important that he is with us at every practice
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner