OpenAdNation

Sunday 24 August 2014

I'm not here to replace Xavi - Rakitic

The Croatia international believes he can learn
from the Spain midfielder and praised coach Luis
Enrique's attention to detail

Ivan Rakitic says he is not at Barcelona to replace
Xavi, insisting he is there to learn from the
veteran midfielder.
Xavi had been linked to a move away from Camp
Nou this summer before making a U-turn and
being named club captain.
Rakitic, who joined from Sevilla, had been seen as
the successor to Xavi in the Barca midfield, but
the Croatia star insists the two can work together
in the team.
"The best news for me is knowing that Xavi is
staying, so that I am able to learn from him and
improve," Rakitic told El Pais. "But I'm here to
play my football and improve the team.
"I have a different place in the plan of
Barcelona. The most important thing is to always
help out where the team is lacking.
"We all know the direction Barcelona are going in
and I think they know what I can give. I can't
dribble like Leo [Messi], I can't go as deep as
Neymar, but Luis Enrique knows my game."
The 26-year-old also mentioned coach Luis
Enrique, saying he is more demanding than he
expected.
"He has clear ideas. He leaves no doubts and
overlooks nothing. There are details that don't
seem important, yet he sees them as key details."
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner